Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's The Se-e-eason for Loooviiiiiing,,,

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
Please to put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God bless you


A man came into the food bank earlier this week with his red-cheeked toddler, who, big-eyed with sleepiness, looked more like a Precious Moments figurine than a real girl. He was running errands and had come in to drop off a donation check, which was pretty significant. He said that he was having a good year, and he knew other people were having a bad year, so this year he is upping the amount he's donated in the past.


Mom asked me what I want for Christmas this year, and there really isn't anything. I'm thinking about talking to the family (Mom, No, KT, and Zirpu) about considering giving my pet charities money instead of things to me for Christmas. I know what I think is important, and I don't want or need music, books, or clothes (other than the Holy Grail of garments, jeans that fit perfectly). I've been fortunate this year: I'm not only employed, I'm doing what I want to do; I'm educated; I'm healthy; I'm safe; I have food in the pantry. Rather than receive a gift, I'll give my gift proxy to someone else. Laughter with my family is gift enough for me anytime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually, I dont think this is a bad idea for all of us. Its been a tough year financially for many, and I'd rather my friends and loved ones donate time or money to a charity of their choice or mine.