Thursday, December 28, 2006

Honesty

First of all, regarding yesterday's post - I wrote it before I went to bed last night, but I went to bed after midnight. I'd planned to write it earlier in the day, but the Daemon had a late word delivery and then I was gone all of the rest of the day, with friends. Please count it as the word from 12/27, if you would.

I also realized that writing the same day as I receive the word isn't very easy. Yesterday's post was short, but I thought about it most of the day, until I found myself in the vicinity of the Campanile. Anyway, now I'm thinking I will get the word of the next day.

In the meantime, today's word is honesty.


Honesty is about taking risks and saying what is true for me when people don't ask, but need to know. It's a little different than telling the truth, though the two are very close. The former doesn't require a prompt, while the latter does most of the time.

Honesty: "I stayed out until two in the morning."
Telling the truth: "When did you get in?" "Two AM."

It seems to me - and this is just on the edge of my mind, so I'm not sure I can articulate it very well - that one can not be honest and tell the truth about many many things. There are people who I know won't cheat me, or lie to me, but there's still "something" about them that makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps it all comes down to the lie of omission. Honesty doesn't use lies at all (unless they're of the "this cake is - *choke* - delicious" to your friend's grandmother variety), and sometimes requires some risk. It's a state of being, not an action.

No comments: