Sunday, April 6, 2008

Wow, literature!

I'm so digging this read-a-poem-day thing!


I'm actually reading much more than just one poem a day, since it's just the natural thing to read a few of the poems around the selected work. I'm also discovering poetry is everywhere: "Warning" posted on the restroom wall at the Pacific Center; a recording of Robert Kennedy reciting from an ancient Greek playwright. Bink has suggested two poets to read, Samuel Green and Theodore Roethke. I'm looking forward to both!


I was at the library yesterday in search of Carl Sandburg and was able to tell two reference librarians about my project. They knew it was National Poetry Month, and they didn't seem to think it was an eggheaded pretension to read a poem every day. Talking to them was like having a conversation with Mrs. P or anyone else who used to hang around a college English department. I did not feel like a nerd.

No comments: