Saturday, January 6, 2007

The good things

Every Friday night, my dear friend Shmeen and her husband light the Shabbat candles and say the prayers, including the blessings over their daughters. When we sit to eat together, Shman asks everybody at the table to say one good thing that happened to them during the previous week.

Unfortunately I have only been able to participate in this weekly review a few times, as they live far from me and we do not often have dinner together on Friday nights. I like this tradition and I like thinking that over the years their daughters will take part in remembering the good things about each week. To me it feels like it is part of the religious ritual, to make the mundane of the week into a noted event.

I try to think of one good thing that stood out from every week. Some recent examples: One day I saw a rainbow's end near our house. Another day my family's best family friends gave me, my brother, and my mother a picture of my parents (and the back of my toddler's head) posing over a turkey. Another set of my family's best family friends gave me a corset from their store, a spectacular gift as I never would have thought about asking for one or getting one for myself.

The good thing that happened to me this week was that I helped KT, with my mom, prepare wedding invitations so they could go in the mail yesterday. KT got a little stressed at a couple points, but I had a great time (Mom did too). The reason I volunteer to "work on wedding stuff" is that I get to spend time with my brother's future wife, another member of my family.

We received our invitation today. I want to write "Hell yes!" on the RSVP card.



* I was inspired to set up this shot by the 12/2/06 post at Gluten-Free Girl.

No comments: