Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I AM THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE!

And so are you. And your significant other. So is your nephew, and your sister, and that person standing on the street corner.

The more I think about this, the less self-conscious I become in my every day life. If I'm thinking this much about myself, chances are other people are thinking about themselves just as much. No one at the Starbucks is going to report that they saw a woman (me) wearing slippers while getting coffee, even if they noticed. It's just not as interesting as thinking about yourself!

However, I do think the Universe is interested in me. I think the Universe gives me opportunities to make choices, and then more opportunities based on those choices. Anyone who's ever watched a parallel-universe episode of Star Trek would understand this idea. I tried to explain it to a friend once and she seemed to think that my idea of how the world works is that everything is fated, and it doesn't matter what you do. It must have been that I wasn't explaining my ideas very well, because I know I have free will: I choose, after all, what to do in these scenarios that are presented to me.

I believe the Universe is an interested, if dispassionate, party to my life. As it is to everyone else's. I wouldn't say that "I lose my doubts and fears," and I wouldn't use the pronoun, but I believe the hymn describes my relationship to the Universe: His eye is on the sparrow.

The Universe doesn't miss a lick.

No comments: