Friday, January 26, 2007

Warm Fuzzies!

I've been getting a lot of support and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, like a big pile of fleece clothing - albeit, a pile of fleece that wants to run around and shout, "Yay!"

Everyone has used phrases like "feeding the heart," "follow your bliss," and "zap your soul." No one has said anything like "That's a risk" or even "Are you sure?" or even-even, "What does Zirpu think?"

On top of all that, I've been officially welcomed to the blogosphere.

The hiring manager responded to my email saying that I hadn't heard from her because she still hadn't received the authorization from HR to offer. I don't know, and don't care to know (really!), if she was going to offer to me, but it must be very frustrating for her to make a decision and not be able to move on it.

If HR had moved at anything like a reasonable pace, I would be working there.

I received an email that said, "I know firsthand what it means to make a decision like this, and the immediate sense of relief and exhilaration it can bring when you finally let go of feeling obligated/scared/indebted/whatever to your prior path and instead follow your passion and instincts."

Reading that, I remembered suddenly that I know several people who have done just what I have done, real people in my own life, who are successful and happy. Three friends who wanted families almost above everything else - and have them, even if they didn't arrive exactly on their own timelines. One friend got a PhD and is very happy teaching in an elementary school garden. Another friend ditched what she thought would be a career in teaching to do - I'm not sure what she would call it, but it's dance and massage and somatics. Yet another friend left working in a bank to strike out as a massage therapist.

I'm surprised that I didn't see it before, I who consider myself so observant. I had all these role models for risk and joy but I just didn't see them.

No comments: