Monday, April 16, 2007

National Poetry Month

You may have heard by now that April is National Poetry Month (and if you did hear that, did you hear that the week of April 1-7 is National Root Canal Awareness Week?).


I've been thinking about the poems I wrote earlier in my life, the pathetic ones I wrote in junior high school, and the passionate ones I wrote later that I liked. I haven't written anything more complex than a limerick in ten years and I wrote a song one time, with help from The Killer Lady. I don't know what made that one a song, but it felt different from a poem even while I was writing it. In fact I was almost humming while it was coming together.


My favorite poem is "This Is Just To Say" by William Carlos Williams. I just read that the reader "is free to decide whether it is 'about' temptation, a re-enactment of the fall, or the triumph of the physical over the spiritual." I don't think it's any of these; I think that it's an unadorned and simple refrigerator note. I imagine that the apology is offered before the recipient knows the plums are gone, and in that sense is a confession and a demonstration of honesty: Not for one moment will there be any question about what happened to the plums. Sometimes it is difficult to offer an apology. Receiving one can be as sweet as a plum.



This Is Just To Say
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

1 comment:

Terry said...

This is also my favorite poem. I've always believed it was not an apology but an admission - I ate them, they were great. It's "I wanted to let you know... I'm not sorry for doing it, but I thought I would tell you."