Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Published again!

The Hayward Daily Review has published me again! About three weeks ago they asked for people to submit recipes for macaroni and cheese and I submitted mine. Well, I should put "mine" in quotations because it really belongs to the Moosewood Restaurant, I just don't bother with the topping and I put in more cheese than their recipe calls for.


I sent in my recipe because I knew it was likely to get published with its probably lower amounts of calories, fat, sodium, and cholesterol, and because regular mac-n-cheese, good as it is, is just so darn bad for you. Indeed, compared to the other recipes submitted it does have lower numbers, though I wouldn't turn up my nose if offered any of them. I think they all sound good, even the Velveeta one, because there are two places for Velveeta and they are mac-n-cheese and Ro-Tel dip. I wanted a version that would give people an option and who knows, maybe even introduce some folks to Westernized ways to use tofu.


I'm particularly proud of "Lest you mac-a-holics think the tofu version isn't worth trying, let it be said it was the very favorite of more than one taster." My brother, himself a fantastic mac-n-cheese maker, and his wife (hee, hee, so fun to write that!) also really like it.


I told a friend that the Review had contacted me saying they planned to publish my recipe and she said it means that I can now never compete in the Pillsbury Bake-Off. I think it means that I'm more of a housewife than I think I am. Never mind the fact that I am a poor baker with few specialties, I looked up the rules: Because I haven't been paid for my "food writing" I could still compete if I wanted to enter.


Now I'm off to the newspaper office to get a couple more copies of today's food section.

2 comments:

Tea said...

Don't go knocking the housewives!:-)

Anyway, I think it's cool.

Samatakah said...

Eventually Inside Bay Area will move the link so here's the pertinent piece of the story, if you're interested:

Mac & Cheese with Tofu

Submitted by Samantha Kahn of Hayward. Recipe adapted from one in "Moosewood Restaurant New Classics" (Clarkson Potter, $25.95).

Kahn says she likes this version of macaroni and cheese because it tastes good, has a creamy sauce and is higher in protein than typical mac and cheese. "Because we have a person in our household with Type 2 diabetes, I can't justify serving regular mac and cheese. Also, I think it's much easier to make than one with regular cheese sauce," she says.

12 ounces small pasta (elbow macaroni, small shells, etc.) Kahn uses low-carbohydrate, high-protein pastas or multigrain pastas like Dreamfields and Carb-Fit.

Cheese sauce:

16 ounces silken tofu

1/2 cup low fat or skim milk

1/2 cup plain, nonfat yogurt

2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic

2 tablespoons minced onion (or you can cheat and use onion powder)

2 teaspoons yellow mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste

1/4 teaspoon turmeric (This is to make it yellow. Kahn says she usually adds a little more turmeric and less mustard.)

Pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and brush a 2-quart casserole dish with oil.

Cook pasta as directed on the package.

In a blender or food processor, combine the cheese sauce ingredients except for about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the cheese. Puree or pulse until smooth.

Drain the pasta. In a large bowl, combine pasta and cheese sauce. Pour into baking dish. Top with the reserved cheese.

Bake covered for about 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for five more minutes. Alternatively, you can brown the cheese topping under the broiler. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 8.

Per serving: 333 Calories; 14g Fat; 20g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 398mg Sodium.