Thursday, June 28, 2007

Muppets Music

A friend and I went to one of the events at the Yerba Buena Center of the Arts Muppets tribute tonight. It was "Muppets Music Moments" and it was really fun. I think the Jim Henson crowd were and are a brilliant bunch, so when the request went out to see if there was any interest, I immediately responded.


We bought two of the last five tickets, and the audience was between the ages of 25 and 40 (except for one family's toddler and one guy's dad). Everyone loved the show, with clapping for Kermit singing "The Rainbow Connection" with Debbie Harry, and loud guffaws for Elton John's pink sparkly pantsuit.


Speaking of guffaws, I'd forgotten the pigs. Miss Piggy gets all the press but the gang (?) of pigs come out styling in "Macho Man" and "In The Navy." During "I Get Around" there was some footage of the Muppeteers singing and manipulating the motorcycles, which was interesting to see; there were five pigs and about a dozen people in the skit. The Swedish Chef, Beaker, and Animal sang an almost unintelligible "Danny Boy" that had me almost crying with laughter at the end. I said to my friend, "The genesis for this skit must have been one Muppeeter asking the other, 'What if the craziest voices in the cast sang a song together?'"


Once again I found myself thinking about how much more real the Muppets seemed than a CGI extravaganza would have. I'd seen a couple of the numbers recently, and even so it was like receiving a visit from old friends from my childhood.

I'm not going to embed a picture, but if I could it would be this one.

The show ended rather suddenly and several (adult) voices let out a loud "Awww" as the screen went black.

No comments: