Monday, June 25, 2007

Write What You Know

That's the advice given to new writers, the advice I received when I was majoring in creative writing. Even if you were writing science fiction, the core of the story had to be something you knew about, or something you had imagined so completely that you believed in it.


I arrived at work this morning wondering if I should ask the FBD what policy may be invented around blogging. Writing from life, which is what I've been doing for year, may cause a problem. When I was just volunteering, there were no repercussions about blogging. I still don't think there would be. This blog is about the other stuff I know: My sexuality, my marriage, my friends, my family, and my memories. Oh, and my opinions. I'm not sure I want to explain all that to the FBD either.


I feel like I've hit my stride with writing daily, and its being public keeps me honest: I have a commitment to two people in Washington State! I'm enjoying doing it, even in the middle of the night when I should be in bed.


I hadn't thought about any of this when I started. I'm not sure what to do.

No comments: