Thursday, May 17, 2007

It's a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world except for Lola

I went with some friends to the White Horse after the bi meeting tonight. Most of the time some people go out, and we hadn't been to the White Horse in a long time, Well, since we last went, the schedule has changed and every Wednesday night now they're hosting a Drag King Contest. People who want to perform sign up and then do their numbers. I was the last of our group to leave, and I left after about six performances.


I've had a lot of exposure to drag queens, from hanging around AsiaSF and seeing the "gender illusionists" perform, but I've had very little exposure to drag kings so I thought I should check it out. The people performing at the WH aren't in the same class at those who perform at AsiaSF, but the divas at Asia are professionals: Professional drag queens and professional performers.


The main thing I felt, which was all about me, was that I was much older than many of the audience members and the performers. I know that this wasn't necessarily the case. There is a certain "look" that some young lesbians adopt, which can often include baggy jeans, men's t-shirts, and short hair (in fact a look that I myself had years ago). To me, most of these women look like very young men whose beards haven't come in. Babyface boys. So I wind up feeling much older because what I'm seeing is a crowd of 17 year old boys, even though I know that's just an illusion - they're not boys, and they're at least 21 (or they wouldn't be in a bar).



I was also wearing a silly hat with a big red rose on it. People think I look cute in it but I think the hat is silly. A short time after my friends left, I started feeling out of place and I took off. I'm not done with this topic, but it is way late for my 5/16 post.

No comments: