Monday, September 10, 2007

Beatles, yay!

When Mah, The Killer Lady, and I went out Saturday night it was really fun to learn that Mah is also a big Beatles fan! We sang all the songs the Hoot performers played, ans compared the songs we don't like. Neither of us like Run For Your Life and believe that Girl and This Boy are two of the most boring songs in the book. I must admit that I've never warmed up to Come Together, either, though the KL and Mah both like it. I like the lyrics, but not the song.


I used to be a real Beatles geek: In tenth grade, I wrote a fifteen page paper on the Beatles for my English class, titled "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today." Because it was the 20th anniversary of the Beatles' first trip to the US, there were tons of reference materials available, and my paper was seven pages longer than the assignment required. When I was a sophomore in college, I listened to the Beatles so often that my housemates stopped asking me to choose the records. I still know a lot about the Beatles, so it must be true that the stuff you learned while you were writing papers sticks in your head (I still know how chlorophyll works, too). I probably still am a real Beatles geek, it just doesn't show so much now that I'm addicted to NPR.


When we were kids, we learned how to use a record player with three records: A song about Muhammad Ali, Rhinestone Cowboy, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. I remember most of the words from the first two records, which were singles, and every word, in order, on Sgt. Pepper's. Why is it so much easier to memorize a song, not to mention an album, than a poem?


I thought I would be a John, but it seems I am a Paul. I always liked George best, anyway. His songs are so strange, and he was so handsome in the photos on Sgt. Pepper's.

When you've seen beyond yourself
Then you may find
Peace of mind
Is waiting there

And the time will come
When you see we're all one
And life flows on
Within you and without you

No comments: