Saturday, September 1, 2007

Love Synchronicity

It's hot! I had a headache so I went to the gym, and when I came home I took a cool shower and laid on the ballroom floor to listen to Prairie Home Companion. My favorites on PHC are "Guy Noir, Private Eye," and the Ketchup Board ads, and I always enjoy the music. Of course I like the Lake Wobegon stories, but my favorite part about them is the way Garrison Keillor speaks... A quiet lull, smooth rhythm, evocative of what I imagine Minnesota looks like, regardless of the season.


Side story: I once knew a man who was from a small Minnesota town who had married a woman from northern Italy years before. He said that she told him that she had learned to understand him and his culture by listening to Keillor's Lake Wobegon stories.


One of the skits this evening (which hasn't been posted in the archive yet; it was performed at the Minnesota State Fair) was about a woman (played by Sue Scott) from Minneapolis who approaches a man from Wilmar. The man (played by Garrison Keillor) is showing a chicken at the Fair, and she invites him for Pronto Pups and a ride in the Tunnel of Love after the judging. Twice, she sings an inner monologue of four lines to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine" about showing him Minneapolis and introducing him to yoga and soy lattes. At the end, the man sings about how "I kissed her then and there... And that's what I remember from the Minnesota State Fair" to the same tune.


Zirpu walked in at the end of the skit, and when the new lyrics morphed into the original lyrics, he laid on the floor with me to kiss me. When we were first dating, I sang the song to him whenever we were in the car, and Boegle rewrote the lyrics so it would be an appropriate wedding song, which she and Appa Jooz sang at our wedding.












You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll never know dear how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away


The other night dear as I lay sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
When I awoke dear I was mistaken
So thought I'd tempt you with some of my charms.


I'll always love you and make you happy
If you would only say the same
I'd show you pleasures beyond all measure
And deepest love and kindness the same.


You told me once dear you really loved me
And no one else could come between
I am so happy you chose to stay with me
You are the life come to all of my dreams.


You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll always know dear how much I love you
For with me, the sunshine always stays.


No comments: