Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Television Is Evil

We have a million channels with satellite TV and as a result, I am stuck on three: KQED (the local public broadcasting affiliate), SciFi, and the Food Network. In fact I haven't really watched anything other than Ace of Cakes on the Food Network in quite some time, so I may really be stuck on two channels. Now that I think of it, I've only been occasionally watching Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica (when it's actually on, which is never)... So maybe it's one channel.


Even then I'm limited by the fact that I don't read any kind of TV guide, and I watch all shows on the DVR - usually a few days after the spot for something that sounds good has already been broadcast (and since we have a million channels, it's not possible to find the KQED replay channels, if we even have them).


Recently I've been watching on of my favorite "Britcoms," As Time Goes By, which started airing in 1992 and starred Judi Dench. That's a lot of talent for a small screen, and her co-star Geoffrey Palmer is also wonderful. I read somewhere that Moira Brooker, who played Dench's character's daughter, said that she would be so entranced by Dench's acting skills that she would just watch her and forget her own cues.


You'd think, after years of watching TV, that I would know that TV empties my mind. It is indeed a passive entertainment that doesn't inspire me to do much - yesterday I wrote a post because of a book I'm reading. I should know to write the post first and then turn on the idiot box. But sometimes I'm just tired and TV just sounds... good. Simple. Like mashed potatoes.


Tomorrow's going to be a long day, with dinner with the family directly following work and then I'm leaving on Thursday. Whee! All I have to do is actually put things in bags and boxes. Whee again!

No comments: