Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Bug!


Bug is 18 today. Eighteen! How did that happen? I mean, I haven't changed at all in twelve years!


I talked to her a few weeks ago and she said that she was looking forward to being 18 so she could vote against the Republicans in the next election.




I turned 18 a few weeks after arriving at college. At Puget Sound, it was traditional to be tossed in Jones Fountain on your birthday (I wonder if it still is? Jones Fountain has been prettied up a lot since I was a student, and the benches could serve as barriers). My new friends duly did so, and though I yelled and carried on as they manhandled me over the fountain's edge, I was secretly pleased that they liked me enough to follow the tradition in my honor.


A month or so later I sat on the floor of my dorm room and pricked holes in my California ballot. I remember thinking it would have been much more exciting if the first election in which I got to vote were a Presidential one. It will be for Bug.

No comments: