Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Learning Something

I'm watching The War, which I think is the first Ken Burns documentary I've seen. I'm watching it on the DVR so I've only just seen the first two episodes. All of the people being interviewed seem to be remarkably healthy, especially when you know that they all must have been at least in their late 70s when they were filmed. They all look so handsome and beautiful to me.


I think I know a little more than your average bear about WWII but I've learned a couple things already from this documentary:

1) A German submarine blew up a fuel barge in New York City, and the East Coast was the most dangerous shipping lane in 1942.

2) There was a black market for rationed goods in the US. It makes sense, of course, but I've never heard anything about this before.

3) Now I understand where Saipan is.

No comments: