Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sigh

Saturday evening at the grocery store: The young woman in front of me in line in wearing a cute black dress, a deep pink headband, leopard-print flats, and mid-60s style eyeliner. Her purse matches her headband. She is purchasing a bottle of Barq's root beer and a bag of Fritos. Of course I immediately assume she's going to a party.


I, on the other hand, have a totally boring selection of stuff in my cart:

six cans of chickpeas
two turkey Polska Kielbasas
two red peppers and two green peppers
a bag of carrots
a head of celery
a bag of cherry tomatoes
a box of raisin bran
a box of shredded wheat


I think it was the low-fat kielbasa and the raisin bran that made me feel like a totally boring adult, even though everything else on the list was for a party. I wanted to go with her, wherever she was going.

1 comment:

Saipan Writer said...

I love your shopping basket. Mine is usually filled with yogurt, bananas, soba (called ramen in the states), boxed (uht) milk, cereal and maybe some onions, chicken, turkey bacon.

And a little black dress is completely out of order for me, but a party would be nice!