Thursday, October 4, 2007

Saying "I'm Sorry"

Tuesday morning I was leaving the gym, backing the car out between two much larger vehicles. The parking lot is not small but besides the gym there's a credit union, a grocery store, a drug store, a Starbucks, a couple of restaurants, and a recycling center. It's a pretty busy place and I always back out very slowly - especially if I can't see in either direction.


As I swung the car around, I saw the flash of a t-shirt. I never did see the person attached to it until he started yelling, "&^%$$! Look where you're going! $@%#&!" I rolled down the window and turned off Renee Montaigne and Steve Inskeep. I stuck my head out and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't see you," and started to roll away. The slender man in a cap who'd had to jump out of the way of my car cried, "What did you say?!" so I replied, "I said, 'I'm sorry, I didn't see you.'"


He looked embarrassed immediately. He stuck his hands in his pockets and said, "Oh, uh, I'm sorry, too, uh, for my, uh, rude mouth."


I waved and went on my way.

No comments: