Monday, October 8, 2007

October 11

Thursday is National Coming Out Day.


I've been thinking about how I'm going to be out and how I'm going to come out. Of course I will be at work during the first part of the day. I've come out to a few of the volunteers, and to the Food Bank Director, but not to any of the people who work on Thursdays. I don't exactly feel comfortable with them yet.


I usually come out very clumsily. "Girlfriend" is a slippery word. Often, I use mentioning the Bi Women's Group as my tool for coming out, but sometimes when I don't really plan to come out I mention the group and then have to explain its purpose when I get the feeling that the listener is interested in joining a women's group (which is what happened the last time I came out).


Is it important to come out? Yes. Is it easy? No. And I've been doing it for a long time.

No comments: